Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Barefoot running diary

Okay, back again with an update on 9/22/09. First I'd like to give my apologies to the barefoot running community. I wimped out and did not run barefoot on my 5K on Sunday the 20th. I didn't know if the course was all paved, and they had this weird timechip thing I wasn't counting on. These are pretty much excuses, I should've gone for it. In good news, I wore my Vibram's and won first place in my age group. I was 12th overall out of 406. About a 6:40 pace, but the course wasn't official, so whatevs. I won a rosebush!

Today, the 22nd, I set a new distance record and completed 4 miles barefoot with pretty much no pain at all. I have a little pain later on, but it usually seems to go away, just in time for the next run. I'm sticking with 2 barefoot and 1 Vibram run, and no days off. I have had no injuries since starting the barefoot/vibram only regimen. The Vibram's hurt my toes, and I may just dispense with them altogether if that doesn't improve. Today's 4 mile pace was about 7:20 (4 miles @ 29:31). I wish I could get back to jumproping, it's just hard because everywhere I go pebbles get underfoot. Anyway, that's all for now - 2 or 3 more days of 4 miles, and then we go for 4 1/2 or 5 next week!!!

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog today and just wanted to say thanks for sharing! I'm also making the transition to minimalist/BF running in an effort to overcome plantar fasciitis and to hopefully stay running injury free once that's tackled. I just started my own blog to gauge my progress, precisely because I hadn't found many like yours -- explaining in detail what the early transition days are like. So thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete