Monday, October 26, 2009

Barefoot Running 10/26

Okay, a lot has happened since the last post, none of it good! I got one 5.5 mile run in; it may have even been 5.75 now that I think about it. But then on the 17th I ran a 5K race. It was wet, and cold. My adrenaline was pumping because everyone was high-fiving me, and telling me how crazy I was, etc. Inside I was laughing, because a little 3 mile run is a walk in the park for me barefoot.
Or so I thought - I couldn't feel the ground, and I ran with such bad form that I wound up opening up huge, awful blisters on the bottom of my feet. I mean, you didn't even see a blister, it was just straight up bloody mash on the outside of my feet.
Basically, I supinated just like a runner in shoes would, and had terrible barefoot form. Now, on the 26th, 9 days later, I sit on the couch, unable to put on shoes or do much of anything as I wait for my feet to heal. It will probably be a month before I even get back up to 3 or 4 miles. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Moral of the story: Always, always run with your whole foot feeling the ground, and knees nice and bent low. The barefoot form I have in practice was fine - I wouldn't have run any slower if I used it. So, that's it - my barefooting ground to a halt on the 17th, and won't be back for quite some time. I'm not giving up though, it was my fault, not "barefooting"'s fault. Oh yeah - at least my time was good 20:18 PR,at a 6:34 pace. Wait 'til I'm back in shape!!

No comments:

Post a Comment